Crockpot Black Eye Peas


I'm convinced that this recipe can convert anyone who isn't a black eye pea eater into the bean's biggest fan.

I've personally had to start doubling the recipe.  Black eye peas went from being a side dish to a main course at my dinner table.  Not that I mind...it doesn't get any easier than throwing all the ingredients into a crockpot. And it doesn't get any CHEAPER than dry beans.  Its a win-win.



Ingredients...
1 lb (16oz.) dried black eye peas
2 cups water
4 cups beef broth (is that an herb, a spice or both? ...hehehe...sorry...inside joke.  I couldn't resist.)
1 Tablespoon  white wine vinegar
4-5 fresh garlic cloves or 1/2 tsp garlic powder (I use fresh for the nutritional value.)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter


Directions...

Use a 6 quart crockpot.

Version 1
Its best to soak the beans overnight covered by 2-3 inches of water.  After soaking, drain the bean water.   Add the beef broth, water and other ingredients.  Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours.

Version 2
If your like me, you forget to soak your beans sometimes.  I've forgot to soak my black eye peas every time I've made them.  I wash my beans, put them in the crockpot with the ingredients and cook covered on high for 6 hours.


Again...I must admit...this is not an original recipe I created.  I found it online and gave it a few minor changes to fit my taste.  I can't remember where I got it from to give credit.  So hats off to the original 'black eye pea culinarian
'.  Without you this bean would have remained an overlooked side dish.
 
content © Kim Collins. all rights reserved. design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs