Crock Pot Chicken Marsala

With the new addition coming to our family in a few months, I decided I needed to try some new recipes that would be quick, easy and yummy.

Quick, Easy & Yummy...is that too much to ask???

I think not!

I pulled out my trusty crock pot (aka slow cooker) and got to cookin'.  After a few failed attempts at some other recipes, I was sooooo excited with  how delectable this one turned out. And EASY.....whewwww....did I mention how super easy it was to make?

Here is what you need...

A quick note...
Depending on how many your cooking for, you may want to divide this recipe up.  I make enough for two adults, 2 ravenous teenage boys, a two year old cutie pie and leftovers.  We LOVE leftovers.

6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbs Olive Oil (or oil of your choice)
3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
6-4oz. can of mushrooms, drained -- We like mushrooms.  If your not a mushroom fan you can use less or omit it completely.
2 cups (equivalent to 1-16oz jar) Sweet Marsala Wine -- I can never find actual wine so I use Marsala Cooking Wine that is found over with the dressings & vinegars.
1 cup water
1/2-3/4 cup cornstarch (Quantity depends on how thick you like your gravy...but be advised...it will thicken some as it cools.)


Here is how easy it is...

1.  Coat your crock pot with your olive oil.

2.  Sprinkle your garlic on the bottom of the crock pot.

3.  Place your chicken on top of the garlic and sprinkle with your salt and pepper.









4.  Pour drained mushrooms over chicken.















5.  Pour wine over everything.










6.  Cover and cook on Low heat.  Your chicken should be done in 5-6 hours but this is an odd time period me and I usually leave mine on low for more like 8 hours.

7.   In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth. Remove cooked chicken from crock pot and place it on a plate. Cover it to keep it warm.  Stir your cornstarch into the liquid in the crock pot.  Increase your heat to high and cook to let the sauce thicken slightly.  This should take about 10 minutes but again, I usually don't have 10 minutes of undivided attention to get back to the kitchen in time.  For me, the cooking process on this typically lasts 20-30 minute before I can get back in the kitchen.
(I was so excited about my new found recipe that forgot to take pictures of this part...Sorry!)

8.  Return the chicken to the crock pot.  Cover and cook on High heat setting for 5-10 minutes; until chicken is hot.


Serve chicken and marsala gravy over a bed of mashed potatoes and ENJOY!

You family will think you slaved away in the kitchen all day.




**UPDATE** You can use frozen chicken but it does make the gravy runnier.  You might consider cutting back on some of the added water if you choose to use frozen breasts instead of fresh.


As seen in the following linky parties...
Tip Junkie handmade projects
 
content © Kim Collins. all rights reserved. design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs