Spinach & Quiona



Not many recipes surprise me.  But this recipe that I found on Simple Daily Recipes did.  I was expecting a particular flavor and ended up with something better. All I have to say is Yummo!!

I was drawn to this recipe originally because of my new found interest in Quiona.  I could sit here and list all the wonderful things about Quiona.  Like that it has the highest 'non meat' protein  you could consume...but I'm not.  Like that it is LOADED with all kids of vitamins...but I'm not.  I could tell you that I've used it with grilled veggies, as a sweet breakfast cereal or blended in smoothies...but I'm not.  You'll just have to google and find out all the wonderful things about Quiona on your own.  :o)  Mr. google can refer you to more accredited places to find this information than here.  Go ahead...get to it.  Get your google on.

Serves 4-6

Ingredients...

1 cup quinoa
I love having these little pigtails in the kitchen helping
to put all the ingredients together.
1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus more for oiling the pan
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen spinach, thawed, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and papper

Directions

1.  Cook quinoa and set aside.

2.  In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and cook carrots and onion until onion is translucent.

3.  Add in mushrooms and chopped bell pepper, cook until pepper is tender, about 5 minutes.

4.  Add in cilantro, chopped spinach, cinnamon and cumin.

5.  Continue cooking another 6-8 minutes and remove from heat.

6.  Add cooked quiona to vegetables and toss well. Season with salt and pepper to your taste.  (I used an ample amount.)



 
content © Kim Collins. all rights reserved. design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs