Who is YOUR mommy guru?

A friend of mine recently shared an article with me called Every Mother Needs A Mom Guru.  Who's Yours?  I absolutely loved it.  "Finally!" I thought after reading it.  "Someone who gets it!"  (I've attached the article below so you could enjoy it as well.)

When it comes to pregnancy, birth and raising our children, I feel as though our culture will many times position moms to be automatic failures right from the beginning of becoming a mom.  We have an overwhelming amount of medical interventions that tell us "your body isn't going to carry and birth your baby on its own...its incapable...you have to have me to do it."  And after our baby is born we have every psychologist telling us "if you follow that model for raising your family your going to ruin your child....do it this way".  Then there are others who act as if we are supposed to have this-as she describes it in the article-"magical" ability to be able to reach inside ourselves for the constant encouragement that is needed to be a mom.  With so many people telling us how to do our job (all in different ways mind you) how are we to ever feel like we can succeed?


This article hits the issue head on.  As women, we need other women!  We need someone who is going to relate to us.  Someone who will tell us about the practical things to help us raise our kids. But even more importantly, we need other women to connect with on an emotional level. A level that doesn't come from a psychologist's or doctor's book knowledge, but rather a level spoken with personal experience and empathy.  Sometimes, to make it through a difficult season, us moms need to hear from other women that we are good moms, excellent wives and valued friends...because frankly, sometimes it just doesn't come from anywhere else.  Even sometimes our own husbands fall short.  Not because they don't necessarily think we're good wive and moms, just because it isn't build into their nature to think to tell us that as often as we should hear it.

So if no one has told you today...Your a great mom!  Your an amazing wife! And on top of all of that...YOUR BEAUTIFUL!


TODAY Moms - Every Mother Needs A Mom Guru. Who's Yours? by Diana K. Sugg







Every mother needs a Mom Guru. Who's yours?


While my husband slept and the baby in my tummy began to knock, I stood in the small back room. It was painted the perfect shade of yellow, with pastel stars hanging from the ceiling. I was 40 years old, and in a day or so, my first baby would be born. I didn’t really know what I was getting into, or how I would be a mother.

Monica Lopossay
Who me, Mom Guru? Diana Sugg, pictured here with her two sons, relied on her sister's advice.
But at least I knew I had the basics in place, thanks to my sister, Valerie. Deep into that night, with the BBC on the radio, I went through her checklist and got the nursery ready -- the snap-on crib sheet that would make changes fast, the goofy-looking animal mobile that would make a quick shower possible, the CD player with the lullaby disc that would help my newborn fall asleep.
I didn’t know how much I would need her. Because once my son Sam arrived, all the advice from the books and the childbirth class blurred. The voices around me, around any new mother, were many and contradictory. You need to work. You need to be home. You need to let the baby scream. You need to let him sleep in your bed. It’s not that hard. Why haven’t you lost weight? Why are you still nursing?
Maybe other women were used to it. Some had been preparing their whole lives for it. But I needed help. And to this day, I thank God that I had my sister. My guru.
She had what I didn’t: the confidence that comes from experience. As a teenager, she’d built a babysitting empire, and now, after setting aside a career as a Chanel executive, she had her own two sons. She’d analyzed every product on the market. She’d researched and lived so many of the issues I was now facing. Hers was the voice I could believe in.
Valerie shared strategies like keeping my fingernails short, so I wouldn’t scratch the baby, and rotating toys in and out of the closet, so the old toys would become “new” again. She counseled me to shift my mindset. I couldn’t feel badly that I wasn’t writing and working as much as I’d hoped. I couldn’t worry about what other people thought, or managed to do, because their children slept better. It was okay to let Sam watch the “Baby Galileo” DVD for a little bit if I was swamped.
But it was hard, and I wasn’t getting much sleep. One day, exhausted, I confided my worst fear to Valerie. Maybe, for me, having a baby had been a mistake. Maybe I just wasn’t right for it.
“Oh, D,” she said, hugging me. Her voice was like a clear bell on a cold night. “Don’t be so hard on yourself. You can do it.”
And over time, with her belief in me, and some experience, including a second son, I started to feel more comfortable in the world of kids. I began to rethink my long-held concept about motherhood: that it was a magical thing, and certain people were just wired for it. Maybe it was like learning to play the piano, or to write stories. Maybe I could get better.
On a walk one day, after easily manhandling 90 pounds of boys and a double stroller uphill, I stopped at a light. I found myself next to a pregnant woman, who was going to have her first child any day. I recognized the look on her face. She was a little lost.
My inner guru came out. In five minutes I gave her the lowdown: order diapers online, find a neighborhood or mothers’ email group to tap for advice, find some help, and take care of yourself.  “And no matter how hard it gets, just remember, have faith in yourself,” I told her. Then, thinking about all I’d learned, I smiled at her. “Because you can do it.”
Diana K. Sugg is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who has covered medicine, crime and other issues for newspapers around the country. She is now a freelance writer in Baltimore raising two young sons.
 
content © Kim Collins. all rights reserved. design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs